Saturday, September 22, 2007

Lincoln has arrived

What a week! Erin's due date was September 26th, but she was put on bedrest unexpectedly on the 12th. A few days later she had contractions 5 minutes apart for a few hours and we went to the hospital, hoping it was time...but no such luck. Although the contractions stayed regular and close for 4 DAYS the baby was not in the correct position to make labor progress. So, on doctor's orders, Erin and her mom walked...and walked...and walked...and walked. (Only the dog enjoyed it, however.) Even with all the walking, labor didn't progress. Then, after a regular doctor's appointment, we were sent to the hospital when Erin's blood pressure was elevated. Due to headaches and other symptoms of pre-eclampsia, Erin was induced on Wednesday the 19th.

Unfortunately, only the contractions progressed-nothing else. By Thursday morning, Erin was in full transition-labor contractions, but had no other progression. Andrew stepped out with Erin's dad to grab breakfast in the hospital cafeteria about 8:00, as the anesthesiologist was contemplating whether to go ahead and administer an epidural. (It looked like it could be a VERY long day...) until things drastically changed.

The baby's umbilical cord became wrapped around his neck and his heart rate suddenly plummeted. Alarms started going off, and within seconds there were multiple nurses and doctors in Erin's room. Although they tried all sorts of things, the baby's heart rate dropped consistently for six minutes and eventually was undetectable. At that point, they (literally) raced Erin to the OR. (You can ask Erin the details, but let's just say it was an ... interesting... ride down to the OR) Although they planned to put her under general anesthesia, once in the OR they were able to get a heart rate on the baby. That gave them time to give Erin an epidural (and get ahold of Andrew so that he was in the OR when the C-section began). 10 minutes later Lincoln came out crying! Erin and Andrew got to hold him for a few minutes in the OR and Erin's parents and his Uncle Barrett got to see him immediately afterwards. Lincoln was born officially at 8:47 a.m, weighing 7 lbs 6 ounces, and was 20 1/2 inches long.

We would like to thank everyone for their prayers. So far, Lincoln is healthy and perfect, showing no effects of cord compression. And, after his rather chaotic arrival he is (at least so far) a very laid-back baby! We just sit and stare at him, amazed by God's goodness. He's beautiful, with the cutest little face, a full head of sandy blonde hair...and big feet!! What a miracle.


Barrett said...

Perfect he is. Tiffany and I cannot wait to watch him grow up.

Love you guys,

Barrett & Tiffany

The Houston's said...

He is absolutely adorable! I can't wait to meet him. Love ya!

Ashley said...

Yea!! Can't wait to check back in and see how this precious baby is growing and changing your lives!! He IS ADORABLE; I'm so ready to hold him again!!